7.16.2011

Interview: Single Mothers

I have been wanting to write a blog about single parenting, but didn't know exactly what I should say. A few days ago I thought, why don't I just interview my mom? My mom has been a single mother since the day I was born. For nearly 22-years, she has been sacrificing her time, loving me unconditionally, and providing for me in every way imaginable. As a child and teen, I only saw what was missing in my life. Lately, I have been focusing on the abundant riches that God has given me, especially through my doting single mom.

So grab a coffee, cuddle up on the couch with your favourite blankey, and hear what my mommy has to say!


What do you think is unique about the relationship that you have with your daughter? Our bond is very strong. Probably stronger than if we lived in a traditional family. I am her mother, sister, and friend.

Do you think that a single parent can provide all the physical, emotional, and spiritual
needs of a child?
I would say yes and no. Yes, because I gave all I had emotionally, physically and spiritually to her. No, because as I watched my daughter grow, I could see that no matter how much I did, how much I gave, there always seemed to be something missing in her. Nothing I did could erase the pain of not having a father.

If no, what did you do to ensure all of your daughter’s needs were met? It's hard. I had a daughter by myself, and I gave everything that I had. But, in the end, I don't know that I could have done to fill the void that was so obvious.

God intended a husband and a wife to raise a child together. That is why you can’t just have a child on your own (biologically speaking). There are things that you can’t get from a mother that you can get from a father. I think that it’s good that I was a single mother to a girl, because it made things easier in a lot of ways. At the same time, I think a lot of girls get their self-esteem from the attention that they receive from their father. It’s hard when you don’t have a father-figure, or a man in your life to teach you about how a man should treat you.

If you had a second chance to raise your daughter, what would you have done differently? In my situation, I worked weekends, and sometimes would not get home until 6 or 7 at night. I did that because my job was secure and I had a reliable income. Thinking back, it may have been better to sacrifice more financially so that I could have been at home more. 

How did married couples treat you differently as a single mother? You're not really included very much. From what I could tell, some husbands feel threatened because you're an independent woman, and some women feel threatened because you're single.

Did a married couple ever befriend you? How were they different than others? Yes, there was one couple that included me in their lives a lot. They invited me over to their home, especially on holiday's they always thought of me and my daughter.

Do you think your daughter felt alienated from other “nuclear” families? Was she invited to parties and included like the rest of the children? I can't think of any time that she wasn't included, but whether she felt alienated in any way, I can't say.

What was your greatest sacrifice in raising a child on your own? Oh..lots of things. When you want to give your child all of things necessary in life, it has to come from somewhere. There were not extras like vacations, fancy clothes or new cars. You live mostly with what you need. I also didn't have much time for myself, because my daughter didn't visit her father on weekends.

What advice would you give to a single mother currently raising young children? At the time that I was a single mother, I couldn't find many support groups. But, I would tell single moms to try and find some support groups. I remember one time I found a support group in the area, and it was only for single moms who are teenagers. When I had my daughter I was 30-years-old, and there just wasn't anything for women my age raising a baby. It's also important to always make time for yourself.

What would you like to tell a married couple that are seeking to become involved in the life of single-parent families? If you have a neighbour that's a single mom, or a brother or a sister that is a single parent, it's important to include them as much as you can.


Thank you Mom, for sharing a little bit about what it was like raising a little girl by yourself! I know that you are an inspiration to many women, especially me!

1 comment:

  1. This is lovely. Brianna, I have known your mom for almost 40 years and though we have grown a part over the years, I still 'know' Rose. I know how much she wanted you, loved you and is proud of you. I became a single mom to a daughter when my daughter was 11. Her father had been in her life until then, though not a constant. It became less and less until there was no contact at all (his doing). I wonder if it is 'easier' or 'better' to have known a daddy and lost one, or to have never known one?? My daughter is my best friend, we are very close and she is the best thing that ever happened to me. I have also wondered if the so called 'nuclear' family is the best way to go, from the look of our society today. I truly believe that any love and commitment a child can receive is better then having that 'nuclear', so called 'normal' family with a mother and a father. 'Normal' isn't working anymore. Did it ever work, better then single parenting? Is there success and failure for both? Anyway BRAVO Rosie, you have done a good job - your girl IS a success.

    Karen Callie SampanoZaoral

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, your words often brighten my day! Please sign your name if you are posting as an anonymous user. Otherwise, your comment may be removed.

 

This Rookie Wife | Template By Rockaboo Designs | 2012