1.03.2012

My Story: Part 1 [The Sacrifice]


The only way to start a story is from the beginning. This is the story of a brave woman who sacrificed everything in her life to provide a safe and secure environment for her unborn child. This is the story of my mother, Rose.

My mother discovered that she was pregnant when she was 29-years-old. At the time she was married to my father for nearly 3-years. Both of my parents had great jobs, they owned their own house, and had their own cars. They were perfectly capable of starting a family, and it seemed to be the perfect timing to do so. My mother was a loving a nurturing wife. She loved her husband unconditionally, and was eager to do the same for the child growing inside of her.

At the time that my mother became pregnant my Dad decided to clean up his act. He had issues with drinking, but saw this as an opportunity to restore his marriage and give his wife the life and family that she deserved. He started coming home straight from work. He became an active participant in their marriage. He was a changed man, and finally my mother saw the person he was capable of being. She had hope. A new life was waiting for her, and she was ready to finally live the life she’d always dreamed of.

I’m not quite sure when my Dad started drinking again; likely a few months into my mother’s pregnancy. Suddenly the clean slate was no longer clean. The husband and father that our family deserved was no more. After many lonely and sleepless nights, my mother realized that she needed to do something to save her family. The amount of stress and strain that my mom endured during her pregnancy should not be endured by any human, especially a pregnant woman.

During my mother’s 7th month of pregnancy she made a decision that changed the course of her life, and my life. Had my mother not made this decision, I would likely not have become the woman that I am today. I would not be married, nor would I be expecting my own child in such a stable and loving relationship. In her 7th month of pregnancy my mother made a decision that saved my life, but also deeply hurt her own. She left my father. She left the marriage that she had invested so much into. She left her hopes, her dreams, and the man that she had loved for 5 years.

It wasn’t until a few months ago that I truly realized and recognized the sacrifice that my mother made. I don’t support divorce, and many, many people divorce for completely wrong reasons. However, my mother’s divorce was not only appropriate, but it was right. She truly saved my life (and her own too). A few months ago, I caught a glimpse of what my life would have been like had she not left my father. I saw the person that I would have been raised by. I spent a few hours in that horror, as an adult, and I will never, ever forget those hours for the rest of my life.

Instead of living with a loving mother, and a scary, addicted, and abusive father, I lived with a loving mother. Period. As a little girl I was surrounded by love, affection, adoration and comfort. My mother ensured that we never had to do without. We always had the necessities in life, and then some.

On November 11, 1989, many weeks beyond my due date, and after days in the hospital, my mother gave birth to me. She named me Brianna Rose. “Brianna” means strength, and I know that any ounce of strength that I have was given to me by my mother. In a few months, I’ll give birth to my own daughter, and fittingly, she will receive the middle name Rose. After a woman who gave her child a life free from fear and abuse.

TO BE CONTINUED..

5 comments:

  1. Wow, Brianna. Your mom must have been so strong to leave her husband!
    I was also raised by my mom and it's encouraging for me to read your story. Especially the fact that God is healing you, and using your marriage and unborn daughter to do so. Praise our awesome God. I can only hope for similar healing as God continues to guide my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lindsay, thanks so much for your comment! Yes, now as a married woman who is pregnant I am just understanding the enormity of what my mother did for me. I will pray too for healing in your life. I don't think that healing needs to wait until marriage and children, it just starts with our Heavenly Father (who could ask for a better father, and the Bible says that the Lord takes a special interest and care for widows and orphans). Praise God for mothers who love us unconditionally!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW. That is so amazing how God can give us strength to so the right thing, even when it is the hardest. Mom's are a wonderful thing, and it is obvious that God blessed you with an amazing and strong mother. Thanks for sharing this Brianna... May God continue to bless your marriage and your pregnancy and life with a beautiful baby. Praise God for the ultimate Father figure that He is, and for the great husband He has given you.
    <3 God bless

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh, Brianna this is a lovely story and so very deserving for Rose. It was hard for her, but the rewards (you) were so very worth it. I have a similar situation, but it took me about 10 years to be as brave as your mom. Naming your precious daughter, her precious granddaughter after her is a beautiful thing. Congratulations to all.

    Karen Sampano

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post was beautiful....no words to explain the feeling that our Lord always knows what to do, and how to take care of our lives....
    Looking forward for the next chapter! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, your words often brighten my day! Please sign your name if you are posting as an anonymous user. Otherwise, your comment may be removed.

 

This Rookie Wife | Template By Rockaboo Designs | 2012