1.07.2012

My Thoughts on Giving Birth

These are currently my thoughts on giving birth:
1. It's going to be okay. If I read some books, watch some videos, and "educate" myself I will be empowered and a stronger woman.
2. Why are all the videos and books about women who give birth naturally in the squatting position? I'm going to fail. I don't think I can do it naturally. I'm a failure at life. Everybody seems to want to give birth naturally. I don't think I can be like everybody. I think I need an epidural. Like, now.
3. No wait. I need to be strong. Every woman in the world had to give birth naturally until like, 50-years ago. I can do this. I have a midwife. She'll help me. So will my husband, won't he?
4. This is going to hurt. I need to stop thinking about this. I'm scared.
5. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. I change my mind. Get me that epidural.
The cycle continues, with these 5 thoughts going through my head at least once a day.

Here is what I have decided:
1. I would like to give birth naturally, with just my husband and my midwife in the room, quoting scripture and singing praises to Jesus.
2. I will probably need an epidural. I may even need a c-section. I may call my Mommy if I need more moral support. I will probably forget every verse in the Bible (other than the one about women being in pain during childbirth). I will probably cry a lot.
3. I'm not writing a birth plan. Nobody can plan for birth. I have an idea of how I'd like things to go. I've looked into things. I've read those books and stuff. I don't really think anything can prepare me for what I'll experience, and I really have no idea what is going to happen.
4. When I hold my daughter (or maybe son?) for the first time I will realize that it's all worth it. I will love my child unconditionally (even if I have an epidural or a c-section or whatever..nothing it going to change or diminish my love for my baby).
5. I'm not a failure. I just need to stop reading books that tell me that I am.


2 comments:

  1. You are a complete miracle and success story thanks to the Gospel! You'll be an amazing mom and how you give birth doesn't change that :)

    Food for thought: yes 50 years ago women didn't have much other than a natural birth, but mom and child deaths at an all time low thanks to innovation :) and not everyone wants a natural birth! No pressure at all- I've had both and if I could pick I'd go epidural every time (assuming by natural you mean no drugs).

    However bebe belle comes will be perfect <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. *mom and child deaths NOW are at an all-time low, if that wasn't clear :)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, your words often brighten my day! Please sign your name if you are posting as an anonymous user. Otherwise, your comment may be removed.

 

This Rookie Wife | Template By Rockaboo Designs | 2012