2.28.2012

Changing The Way I Read My Bible


Lately, I have been thinking that something needs to change with my time in the Word. I love reading my Bible in the morning, and that is what works best for me, but I think lately I am just so tired that I zoom through my readings and don't really dig deep, or think about these precious words the Lord has given me.

Yesterday, I started reading old journals that I have kept over the years, and realized that in the past I have "journalled" my thoughts during my quiet time in the Word. There are two journals from about 1.5 years ago that I filled up really quickly. You can just tell by the journals that this was a really good time in my life spiritually.

I was inspired, and decided to start reading my Bible differently.

Today, I sat down on my couch when I woke up, still bleary-eyed and very sleepy, and grabbed my Bible and my journal.

First, I prayed that the Lord would bless my time in the Word with him today.

I opened my reading plan and began reading God's Word, very carefully and thoughtfully.
I started writing down verses that really popped out at me.
After four chapters, I had written down five key verses.
I set my Bible down, and started reading through each verse, and writing down my reflections on each of them, one-by-one.
After I had finished my five reflections, I wrote down five action steps that I could take to tangibly apply the verses to my life.

Lastly, I prayed for each of these areas of my life, and laid them before the throne of my God.

Instead of less than 10-minutes spent in God's Word, I spent about 35 minutes learning and growing in Him. It was great, and I can't wait to do it again tomorrow morning!

Here is an example of one of the verses I chose, and what I learned from it:

Key Verse: "a fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his own opinion." Proverbs 18: 2

Reflections: Am I just expressing my opinion when I blog or lead my pre-marital group? I think I am slowly falling into this foolishness, because I know I don't spend the time I need to in prayer over these important ministry opportunities the Lord has gifted me with.

Action Steps: I need to earnestly pray to the Lord today and every day about blogs that I write, and especially my pre-marriage group as I plan it. These aren't things to be rushed, but carefully planned according to His Word.

That was something big that was revealed to me in my time in God's Word today. Writing blogs about crafts or food or whatever is okay, and I don't think there is anything wrong with that. But, when it comes to more serious topics I do need to prayerfully lay them before the Lord.


My post yesterday about Self Esteem & Pregnancy was not carefully prayed over, and I'm sorry for that. I will be praying and writing a follow-up post shortly about the beautiful and encouraging comments I have received, and where my heart is. I'm not removing the post though, because I don't think the words I said were sinful, they were just not well thought out.

How do you approach the Lord's Word each day?

3 comments:

  1. Love it and I love the honesty in your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a current student at Redeemer and I just wanted to let you know that I find your story so inspiring. You'll be a great mom. I've been reading your blog for a couple months now and I just love the honesty and the gritty truth to it all. You really capture the love you have for your growing family, your husband, but most of all for the Lord. You are an incredible person and I admire you. I hope God blesses you in the coming months - more than He has already!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yo Yo Bri Bri!! I love how you said you can't wait to do this tomorrow morning - that is the same as me! I wake up looking forward to eating breakfast while reading my devotions...and when time runs out because I have to go to school...I am very sad. But I also agree about the journal - I've never done my devotions without it! (I have prayer journals from when I was five and my mom forced me to write it and I said the same thing every day.) lol - but I appreciate that she started that routine in me because it is such a powerful and important part of my day.

    What I WANT to tell you/ask you....is your Bible the study/commentary one? With a note on each most verses? I find that this is my favorite one and super helpful to my understanding. Even being able to understand the historical background and notes that aren't mentioned in the text are really helpful. Anyway, just wondering if that's what you are using because I think you would really like it!

    Love you (and Baby Belle too!) aaaand yes, I decided to comment for once. Haha - also, wondering who this is who commented above?! :)

    Lots of Love from Smash :)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, your words often brighten my day! Please sign your name if you are posting as an anonymous user. Otherwise, your comment may be removed.

 

This Rookie Wife | Template By Rockaboo Designs | 2012