2.02.2012

Helpful Homemaker Tips

Lately I have been researching various blogs for some homemaking tips. I've been trying to be resourceful in our home and save money in little ways, but sometimes other blogs can open your eyes to ways to save and reduce that you haven't thought of before. Here are some helpful links that I have recently checked out:

Canning for Beginners by Modern Alternative Mama
This blog has a wealth of information on being an alternative mama (natural health, pregnancy, canning, budget living). There are a few great posts regarding canning. My prayer is that we will live in a space big enough to start canning and storing foods for the winter this summer. My main canning priorities are peaches and tomato sauce (so I may just start there).

Homemade Liquid Laundry Detergent by The Marathon Mom
This is another project that I'd like to tackle possibly next Fall when the baby is a bit bigger and I'm no longer pregnant. Homemade Laundry Detergent sounds so daunting, but this "recipe" seems very simple and inexpensive. I'm interested in hearing if any of you have tried to make your own cleaning products before? I use vinegar and hot water in place of chemicals for most of my cleaning.

Amish White Bread by The Marathon Mom
I plan on trying this out in the next few weeks. I'll let you know if it works out for me, I like this recipe because you don't need a mixer (I don't even have a hand mixer - yikes!)

I have also been keeping myself busy cleaning, sorting, and organizing in our apartment. My goal is to sort and throw away or sell things we don't need/use. I'm going to organize our storage space (in the basement of our apartment), and start packing up things that we would like to keep but simply don't use (mostly because of space restrictions). This way, when it's time to move between April - June, we will have a lot of the work already done.

Check out some before and after pictures of my organizing...

Food Cupboard Before:

Food Cupboard After:
[not perfect -- but much better.]

Freezer Before:

Freezer After:
[took me less than 10 minutes to purge/wipe down/organize]

Next on my list is selling some DVD's and Books to de-clutter our bookshelf!

4 comments:

  1. I buy gifts as I see things on sale. And have them all organized in a dresser in my closet. Anddddd I pull it all out once a month and reorganize it. Does that count as a household tip? Or is it just a glimpse into my shopping addiction haha (we won't talk about how I have spreadsheets of retail value Vs. price paid...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its amazing how..simple attitudes can make our life easier! Im a very messy person, I hope when I have my own place I will manage to be a good girl and wife and keep stuff organized!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Brianna! I've been reading your blog for a while but haven't commented because I was just enjoying the reading and didn't have anything to say! I went to high school with Dan and I also am a Harvest Oakville child born and raised haha. My parents are John and Lucia McMullin, not sure if you know them. I just got married this summer and live in Lynchburg, VA. The point of this long comment: I have made my own laundry detergent and I love it! Some tips: the dry version is great and it smells good but it doesn't rinse away as well as the liquid version so I would definitely go that route. Our laundry would have to be rinsed twice with the dry! Also before you start making it, have a very large sealable container to put it in. The recipes that I've seen are the kind where you make it once every 6 months at the least. I've enjoyed getting to know you through your blog - i think it is incredibly encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ana!! Thanks so much for the comment and for reading and encouraging me with your kind words!! I will for sure try the liquid homemade laundry detergent!! Thanks for the tip on liquid vs. dry! :)

      Delete

I love reading your comments, your words often brighten my day! Please sign your name if you are posting as an anonymous user. Otherwise, your comment may be removed.

 

This Rookie Wife | Template By Rockaboo Designs | 2012