3.01.2012

A Green Olive Tree: Pslam 52:8

Today in my devotions one of my key verses was Psalm 52:8

But I am like a green olive tree in the house of God. I trust in the steadfast love of God forever and ever.

This would be an example of a verse that I simply don`t get. The words popped out to me, and seemed so rich and full of promise, but I simply didn`t understand what they meant. I knew I had to find out more about this green olive tree. There was a hidden promise in these words that the Lord was trying to tell me.

I started researching in various commentaries that we have, and discovered that the green olive tree is a metaphor for David flourishing in the presence (house) of the Lord. David wasn`t flourishing because of anything he did, but by the Grace of our Lord.

Because, really, who can flourish in the presence of our Almighty God, without his grace alone?

Nobody! Especially not me.

I started to think a little bit about olive trees. Really, I know nothing about them. I don`t even know what an olive tree looks like. In case you were wondering too:


What does it take for an olive tree to really flourish though? For starters, an olive tree needs:
1) lots of sun, they should be in the brightest spot possible when being planted.
2) olive trees need to be pruned, these `pruning` periods require healing time.
3) olive trees need to be fed.
4) in order to maintain a healthy framework, any straggling shoots must be pruned
5) olive trees can become unhealthy or sick when scale insects infect it. The owner must carefully wash and remove, bit-by-bit these pests.

Thank you Jesus, for removing the pests and bugs that infected me. For carefully washing me clean, and removing, bit-by-bit, the disease of sin from my life.

Thank you Jesus, for continually pruning me. For maintaining and restoring my soul to health. Yes, it`s painful, these seasons of pruning. But Lord, thank you for showing me they are necessary for my health and well-being.

Thank you Jesus, for being my bright sun. You are the reason that I stand strong and tall, you are the reason I have life.

Thank you for it all. Thank you for these beautiful metaphors that open my eyes to the beauty of your work within me.

3 comments:

  1. Olive trees can also live for many many many years, hundreds! Apparently there are still olive trees from when Jesus was around, on the mount of olives! I jut heard that from someone so I don't have a source...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Miranda for sharing that!! perhaps one day I can see one of these trees with my own eyes! :)

      Delete
  2. I love this post; it is beautiful and what i needed to read at the moment. I feel challenged to be ready and accepting of God's love. I will be popping in now and then, all the best.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, your words often brighten my day! Please sign your name if you are posting as an anonymous user. Otherwise, your comment may be removed.

 

This Rookie Wife | Template By Rockaboo Designs | 2012