A few days ago I began having some real issues with my digestive system. It turns out that eating mostly starchy foods right after giving birth (or at any time), isn't so good for you!! Even though it's easy to pop a bagel in the toaster for breakfast, it's not good to be doing this daily.
I decided to cut-out most startchy foods from my diet, and start eating a very high-fibre diet. I also increased my consumption of water, and decreased consumption of caffeine and sugary drinks.
Since I started doing this, only 3-days ago, I have noticed a ton of weight loss, more energy, and better digestion of my foods.
One thing that I have added to my diet is hemp hearts. You can read an article about Hemp Hearts and their amazing health benefits here. Hemp hearts are shelled hemp seeds. Some of the benefits of eating 4 - 5 tablespoons per day are:
improves digestive health
improves tissue health
keeps you full longer
great source of protein
excellent source of omega fat
I personally have not been following the "strict" hemp hearts diet found on their website, although I am debating trying it for a few days. However, I can say that eating even 2 tablespoons a day for breakfast has been really beneficial for me.
Here are some simple ways to include hemp hearts with your meals:
1. Add 2 - 3 tbsp hemp hearts to 1 cup yoghurt (I eat Vanilla Activia yoghurt)
2. Add 1 - 2 tbsp to your cereal (I eat Special K cereal)
3. Add 2 - 3 tbsp to your favourite smoothie recipe
4. Add 2 - 3 tbsp to your favourite salad recipe (make your own dressing with EVOO and lemon juice or some other healthy combination, and include spinach for extra health benefits)
5. Add 2 - 3 tbsp to your favourite dessert, such as banana bread or muffins
for some really yummy hemp recipes click here.
Hemp Hearts also taste amazing (they have a very mild, nutty flavour). You can find Hemp Hearts at health food stores and I think some grocery stores.
*note: I was not compensated to write this blog, I just really like this product and wanted to share it!