6.06.2012

The Benefits of Hemp Hearts + Recipes



A few days ago I began having some real issues with my digestive system. It turns out that eating mostly starchy foods right after giving birth (or at any time), isn't so good for you!! Even though it's easy to pop a bagel in the toaster for breakfast, it's not good to be doing this daily.

I decided to cut-out most startchy foods from my diet, and start eating a very high-fibre diet. I also increased my consumption of water, and decreased consumption of caffeine and sugary drinks.

Since I started doing this, only 3-days ago, I have noticed a ton of weight loss, more energy, and better digestion of my foods.

One thing that I have added to my diet is hemp hearts. You can read an article about Hemp Hearts and their amazing health benefits here. Hemp hearts are shelled hemp seeds. Some of the benefits of eating 4 - 5 tablespoons per day are:
increased energy
improves digestive health
improves tissue health
keeps you full longer
great source of protein
excellent source of omega fat

I personally have not been following the "strict" hemp hearts diet found on their website, although I am debating trying it for a few days. However, I can say that eating even 2 tablespoons a day for breakfast has been really beneficial for me.

Here are some simple ways to include hemp hearts with your meals:

1. Add 2 - 3 tbsp hemp hearts to 1 cup yoghurt (I eat Vanilla Activia yoghurt)
2. Add 1 - 2 tbsp to your cereal (I eat Special K cereal)
3. Add 2 - 3 tbsp to your favourite smoothie recipe
4. Add 2 - 3 tbsp to your favourite salad recipe (make your own dressing with EVOO and lemon juice or some other healthy combination, and include spinach for extra health benefits)
5. Add 2 - 3 tbsp to your favourite dessert, such as banana bread or muffins

for some really yummy hemp recipes click here.

Hemp Hearts also taste amazing (they have a very mild, nutty flavour). You can find Hemp Hearts at health food stores and I think some grocery stores.

*note: I was not compensated to write this blog, I just really like this product and wanted to share it!


6 comments:

  1. I so need to do this!
    Low energy = increased coffee intake = low energy in the long run! Blah!
    But bc i love coffee, i may switch to half caf :)
    And thanks for the tip on hemp hearts!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Low energy and coffee........go strong full caf!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the post on hemp hearts! I just saw a nutritionist this Friday and she was telling me how great these guys are! I'm hoping I can find them in the small city I live in to add to my smoothies ;) I also read an article saying if you want to get the full benefits of the hemp hearts it's better to have your serving in the morning as it keeps you full longer and helps curb the craving for sweets and starches :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. You may experience even better results if you change the yogurt and cereal you are eating. Try ones with as few ingredients as possible and zero glucose fructose. Krema is a good yogurt, Kashi might be a better cereal to try:) I am on board with the hemp hearts, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is this good for kids to try as well. I am so on board for myself, but I know my son could use this as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hemp Hearts with the Fiber1 cereal, Yum!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, your words often brighten my day! Please sign your name if you are posting as an anonymous user. Otherwise, your comment may be removed.

 

This Rookie Wife | Template By Rockaboo Designs | 2012