8.03.2012

Bre's Passion Post: Seeing the Beauty Within


5 Facts About Myself:
-> I Love God and try my best (though often fail) to live a life that is pleasing to him
-> I married my highschool sweetheart in April 2011
-> We found out we are going to be first-time parents in May 2012
-> I'm a nerd.  I'm studying Mathematics at UWaterloo along with French
-> I lifeguard at a local pool to keep school debts manageable

Bre and her husband Wes on their honeymoon

Brianna and I met online after a friend of mine showed me her blog.  She has been very helpful throughout my first few months of pregnancy, and it has been a blessing to have another young mother understand the fear, shock but mostly excitment that goes along with the new addition to our family. 

I am so excited to be a part of the Passion Posts series, and truly hope this part of my life encourages others in the same situation (for more of my story: www.bremarshall.blogspot.com or email breezy_218@hotmail.com).

My sister and I have always been close.  In fact, as a child (and yes... I still struggle with it today), I had a huge lisp.  So much so that I was given the opportunity to be a part of the special needs program my first years of school due to me inability to communicate with others.  My sister took it upon herself to be my "translator" for many years. 

My sister was also the person who helped me in many situations where I felt helpless.  I have always had trouble with my weight and viewing myself as beautiful.  I remember being at my brothers birthday party, and having the older girls tease me even while I was changing.  My sister was the one who stood up for me.  After spending days walking home from school with one guy teasing me from behind the whole way home, my sister stood up for me. 
Bre and her sister
And then things changed...
My sister was hospitalized with anorexia.  Visits were always hard, as I saw my beautiful sister believe the lies that were in her head. 
I wasn't able to understand how my big sister, who was the person who stopped all my earlier bullies, was able to look at herself negatively. 
I knew I didn't feel great about my self-image, but I thought it was because.. well... I wasn't beautiful.

It took many years for me to understand that everybody has insecurities and things they wish they could change.  In God's love letter to his children, he writes:
How beautiful you are my darling, there is no flaw in you- Song of Songs 4:7

I still struggle with my weight, and definately have moments of insecurity with many parts of my body.  I wish I could say the battle with self image stops. 

But I know that the Lord looks at the heart (1 Sam. 16:7) rather than outward beauty.  No matter what your size, height, or speech, God has a plan for you and made you in his image (which only could mean we are beautiful)!

And let's not forget... he also made the person beside you beautiful-- why not let them know every once in a while (nothing better than a little encouragement on a bad day).

1 comment:

  1. Bre, you are such a testimony - it has been a privilege to have you in my life!

    You are the most beautiful person I know - inside and out!! Thanks for sharing. I hope your post helps inspire many others.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, your words often brighten my day! Please sign your name if you are posting as an anonymous user. Otherwise, your comment may be removed.

 

This Rookie Wife | Template By Rockaboo Designs | 2012