8.02.2012

Erica's Passion Post: Lessons from Mary & Martha


Today's post is by Erica, a sister blogger I "met" recently, and absolutely adored from the start! Check out Erica's blog Raising Rainbows to read more about her faith and love for her precious daughters.

There are lessons in life that require re-learning. For me, this is one of them. This lesson begins at the home of Martha and Mary. The gospel of Luke reads, "As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made" (10: 38-40, NIV). We get busy don't we? Busy at home. Busy at school. Busy at church. Life is full of activity, most of which is necessary. Martha had good reason to be busy. Often times so do we. Unfortunately, like Martha, we can get so busy with the activities of life we miss our opportunity to sit at the feet of Jesus.

"She came to him and asked, "Lord, don't you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!" "Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, "you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her"" (Luke 10:40-42, NIV). Jesus wants nothing more than to know us intimately; to be in a relationship with us. The busier we get, that relationship becomes less and less of a reality. I truly believe Satan is out to exhaust us. If he can get us to participate in his "rat race" where there simply aren't enough hours in the day to accomplish everything we would like to, convincing us we simply must do it all and have it all to be happy, leaving us worn out at the end of each day, he wins. He wins when we leave no time for the Lord. No time for His word. No time for worship. No time for a relationship. The truth is, the Lord refreshes, restores and strengthens His children when we put Him first. 

Brianna graciously invited me to be her guest for the "Passion Post" series. If there is one thing we walk away with today, I hope it is this. God wants us to love Him with our whole heart (Deuteronomy 6:5, NIV). We spend much of our time committed to the things of this world. I believe if we resolve to commit our whole heart to the Lord, we will see a remarkable difference in our lives. It's not going to be easy to shift our priorities. It's taken years to build some of our habits and it will take time to break them; however, I am certain our God is faithful and will not disappoint. For it is written: "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light" (Matthew 11: 28-30, NIV). My friends, God is not a man that He should lie (Numbers 23:19, NIV).

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments, your words often brighten my day! Please sign your name if you are posting as an anonymous user. Otherwise, your comment may be removed.

 

This Rookie Wife | Template By Rockaboo Designs | 2012