8.01.2012

Joanna's Passion Post: Passion, Defined

Hey everyone! My name is Joanna and I’m really excited to be guest blogging at This Rookie Wife. A few words about how I came to know Brianna…my best friend is dating a great guy, whose sister was married on the same day as me. Being curious, I sought out her photographer’s Facebook page to see pictures, and the photographer happened to be Julie Johnson of Vine Images, who also photographed Brianna’s wedding. On Julie Johnson’s Facebook wall there was a link to Brianna’s blog. I read the blog post and was hooked – I’ve been following ever since! While I have never met Brianna in person, I consider her a friend in the blogosphere. note: me and Joanna just met yesterday and had a great visit at my house (added by Bri!)



Joanna, photo cred: Heather Windsor
When Brianna first made the call out for guest bloggers I knew I wanted to try it out. I’ve blogged before, but never publicly (so be nice y’all!). I’m really excited to be sharing my two cents with everyone so here goes….

When Brianna mentioned that she wanted me to write about anything as long as it had to do with something I was passionate about, my face went pale. Passion? This has been an area of struggle for me for a few years now. Everyone has those friends who are just known for their passions – "Steve? The hockey guy?" or "Yes, I know Lucie, she paints the most beautiful artwork!" It’s clear for those people what they are passionate about, because they are GREAT at it. And I think that’s where my problem lays. For me, a passion is something you are not only interested in but also practice and perfect. And I simply do.not.have anything that really defines me in that way… or so I thought.

This blog post was a great wake up call. I actually came across this quote by Albert Einstein:
I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious.
– Albert Einstein
I think it sums up how I was feeling. Curious, but untalented, and therefore unpassionate. But this whole exercise got me thinking – what would I LIKE to be passionate about? MANY MANY THINGS!

I’m a busy person, but I considered for a moment, if I had all the time in the world what would I do with it?
I would mother. I am not a mother yet, but I plan to be in the future. I want children, I want to nurture, and I love all things domestic!
I would bake. I have many many kitchen gadgets that speak to this, and I absolutely love the look on people’s faces when they eat something sweet and delicious that I baked.
I would read. As long as I can remember, I have had a book on the go. Currently that’s a textbook, as I finish up my third semester of my MBA. But I’ve always been a reader and I devour books whenever I can.
I would PHOTOGRAPH!

This last item is what I want to share with everyone. I would PHOTOGRAPH. Of course! I’ve always had a passion for photography – that is, other people’s photography. Last year I bought my first DSLR, and because of the intensity of my program at school, I have not been able to immerse myself in this art as much as I’ve wanted to. Looking at a great photograph gives me the warm-fuzzies. There’s nothing quite like a photograph to capture the emotion of a moment, freeze it in time. Everyone knows the saying that a picture speaks a thousand words, and I really do believe it.

Well, I decided that I needed to nurture this "passion" of mine. I truly believe you need to make time for what is most important to you and so over the last two weeks, I have been pouring over material to help me learn to be a better photographer. I have learned so many little tips and tricks that will take my photos from good to great and I can’t wait to practice more, more, more, more!

Writing this blog has been a great experience. I thought I was unpassionate. I thought I would fail Brianna, and be unable to write the kind of guest post she was expecting. But in the end, I learned more about myself than I thought I would. I DO have passions, but most importantly its not about having great talents, but about the curiosity to cultivate them!

Chloe, Joanna's beloved kitty

1 comment:

  1. Love this post. When you don't feel like there is any one particular thing you're really talented at, it can be hard to feel passionate. You have to dig a lot deeper to find out where your true passion lies, and like in this post you will eventually discover it.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, your words often brighten my day! Please sign your name if you are posting as an anonymous user. Otherwise, your comment may be removed.

 

This Rookie Wife | Template By Rockaboo Designs | 2012