9.05.2012

Alternative Education: Why I Love Montessori

A big reason why I'm hosting this blog series is because I want to introduce you all to education theories that you may be already practising in your home. The only thing I knew about Montessori Education until recently was that there were lots of montessori schools around, and they were expensive.

I didn't know that you can incorporate montessori learning in your home.
I didn't know that montessori was applicable to small babies.
I didn't think you could send your child to public school, but still embrace montessori education.

Most importantly, I didn't know that I was already practising montessori education in my home with my baby, without even knowing it!

 Signs That Montessori Might Be Right For You:
1. you love organization: if you are an organization freak and like things to have a place in your home, if clutter makes you crazy, if you're always finding a new organizing project in your home, and if purging unnecessary things excites you.
2. if independent play is important: if you think that teaching your kids to entertain themselves and learn to complete simple tasks on their own is important, even starting at a young age.
3. if you value quality, not quantity: If good quality and visually appealing toys and furniture is important to you. If you prefer wooden toys over indestructible plastic, and would rather have a limit on the number of toys available in your home.
4. if you want freedom for your children: if you give your children freedom within appropriate limits, and like to cultivate tasks that they enjoy doing rather than having them pursue things that they dislike.
5. if creativity is important: if you feel that allowing your child to express themselves creatively, especially through music, art, dance, and drama.
I'm still familiarizing myself with the more intense theories in montessori education. I would not call myself a montessori mom, or our home a montessori home. We're simply reading and researching different methods and adopting what we like and discarding what doesn't work.
An example of something we've adapted in our home is floor mats. In Montessori education babies and children play on floor mats. It gives babies freedom to move around rather than be restricted to a chair (although we put her in her swing when I can't watch her). We also keep Pen's toys on her floor mat, which is a way to keep things organized and clean. There's lots more valuable reasons for a floor mat too.

1 comment:

  1. I was planning to set up our classroom the montessori way and you've just given me some brilliant ideas! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, your words often brighten my day! Please sign your name if you are posting as an anonymous user. Otherwise, your comment may be removed.

 

This Rookie Wife | Template By Rockaboo Designs | 2012