9.04.2012

Is It Cheaper to Make Dishwasher Detergent?

I've been trying to find different ways to save us money, and figured that a very easy way to save some money would be to make my own dishwashing detergent.

I set out to buy the materials needed to test out the detergent, and mixed up a small batch of the stuff.
I found the recipe here.

Homemade Dish Washing Detergent
1 cup vinegar
1 cup borax
1 cup baking soda
2tbsp lemon juice concentrate
**you can easily double, triple...etc this recipe. I'd recommend just making a small batch to test first.
 
I actually just made a dry mix, which means I used borax and baking soda and just used vinegar as my rinse agent.
 
The Results:
>>the bottom shelf came out clean
>>the top shelf felt "dusty", which I'm guessing means I shouldn't have just used the powder version
>>I've been rinsing my cups with warm water to remove the grimey feeling
 
This morning I added the vinegar and lemon juice and mixed it all up. It comes out as a loose paste. I'm going to re-test this and use the heavy wash cycle.
 
In Conculsion:
>>dish washing detergent is probably toxic
>>it's unlikely that borax is toxic, unless ingested in large quantities
>>making this product made me sneeze a lot, so be careful not to inhale the dust and make this in a well-ventilated space.
>>making your own dish washing detergent is NOT cheaper than buying it. According to my Canadian calculations (everything is cheaper in the US). Homemade Detergent is about $2.50/month to make. Store bought Detergent is approximately $1.70/month if you buy in bulk at a discount store like Costco or Walmart.
>> I wouldn't recommend making homemade detergent, UNLESS you are concerned about the toxcicity, which according to my research is something to probably be a bit concerned about.
 
In the end, I think I'm just going to try to buy a phosphate free dishwashing detergent in bulk, at a discount price. I'm going to still use the rest of the batch of homemade stuff that I've made since it works well enough, but it's just not econmical for us. I don't think I wasted money though because I'm still going to use it and the stuff I bought can be used for other household cleaning purposes.
 
Stay tuned for more cleaning product updates. I'm still on the fence about whether or not I want to make my own laundry detergent now. What do you think?

On SECOND THOUGHT, I just read this blog post, which is a pretty good reason to try out homemade detergent after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments, your words often brighten my day! Please sign your name if you are posting as an anonymous user. Otherwise, your comment may be removed.

 

This Rookie Wife | Template By Rockaboo Designs | 2012