9.11.2012

What Makes You a Writer?





Since I was a child my dream has been to become a published author. Outside of faith and family, I cannot think of a better calling for me. I love to write.

I remember when I was 13 my teacher marked a paper I wrote and scribbled in the comments section, "I look forward to reading your stories in a book one day." That was the first time I realized that there was a possibility of my dream becoming a reality. When I was in Grade 12 I took Writer's Craft, and wrote a short story that my teacher encouraged me to try and publish.

Something has always held me back. I've never seriously looked into publishing any of my work, but I still continue to dream about the possibilities. I think one of my biggest obstacles is fear. Writing makes a person vulnerable, and asking for feedback on your writing is terrifying.

I love writing this blog, and am seriously grateful to any one who reads it. This blog has given me so much satisfication and joy. It's the first time that I have truly committed to writing on a continual basis. It's sharpened and honed my writing skill, and given me a creative outlet.

Each day after writing a blog a hit the word publish. This small word releases my story to you all. Still, I don't feel like I can call myself a writer. I'm publishing myself. Nobody else is saying, "yes, you should publish this, here let me do that for you." Do I even have the right to call myself a writer?





Fear is what is stopping me from pursuing my passion. Fear is what is limiting my creativity. Fear is what is preventing me from calling myself a simple word: writer.

Today I'll start here. Hey friends, I'm a writer. My next step? Click publish.

2 comments:

  1. Follow your dreams, Bri! :) Never give up... I really think you have all the makings of a writer. I mean, A GOOD writer. Keep up the good work. I loooooove your little space and everything you share with me (us) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just stumbled upon this page and I am so surprised by our similarities! Being a published writer has been one of my dreams as well. Ever since I can remember I have had all sorts of teachers comment on my stories and written assignments encouraging me to go further. I recently graduated from high school and my Writer's Craft teacher encouraged me to publish my short story as well! I want to take his advice, but I don't know where to start...

    Follow your dreams! We all have a road ahead of us, so we might as well take the one that suits us best :)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, your words often brighten my day! Please sign your name if you are posting as an anonymous user. Otherwise, your comment may be removed.

 

This Rookie Wife | Template By Rockaboo Designs | 2012